Sunday, July 3, 2011

Funemployment (stole the term from Jared)!

Three weeks after putting in my resignation letter, I got laid off. I saw it coming because three days before my awkward lay-off, the administrators called us in for an emergency meeting. While others sensed impending doom, I thought we were going to get an elevator installed and was really excited. "We are going to have to evacuate and not work while they install the new elevator! YAY!"

Nope. Budget cuts. In the words of Liz Lemon, "Shut it down." Well, shut half of it down. I knew I was going to be in the shut down half--it would only be rational. I went through a small roller coaster of emotions: ambivalence, concern, and then extreme excitement.


The next Monday I was called into the office. It felt very official... and awkward.

I put on a sad face because being laid off is generally a bad thing. It was hard.

I shrugged a lot and thank a few people for the opportunity, "Thank you for the opportunity."

Since then:


Yes, I am currently looking for a new job everyday all the time everyday, Mr. NYC department of labor.

1 comment:

  1. Collecting unemployment is reason in itself to party! Now you can devote more time to your real life pursuits - taxidermy and this blog :)

    -Rosa

    ReplyDelete